GE Lynchburg - Facilities & Employment Time-line
Sept. 23, 1955 - GE announced its rectifier business was moving to Lynchburg from Lynn, MA.
June 18, 1956 - First local employee hired.
June 25, 1957 - New Mountain View Road plant containing 264,000 square feet of floor space completed on 122 acres of land.
July 25, 1958 - General Electric announced the move of its communications business from upstate New York (mainly Syracuse and Utica) to Lynchburg.
Aug 14, 1958 200,000 square feet leased in the old cotton-mill buiilding on Carroll Avenue. Rectifier manufacturing and some moble support operations housed there.
Dec 31, 1958 1100 employees on payroll, including initial NY transfers of communications business.
Jan. 1, 1959 - Lynchburg was formally designated as worldwide HQ for GE's communications business.
Dec 31, 1959 2200 employees on the payroll as communications business was staffed for production.
Jan. 18, 1960 - New two-story, 33,000-square-foot office building completed at Mountain View Road.
Jul 13, 1960 Entire Mountain View Road plant air conditioned.
Dec 31, 1960 2500 employees on the payroll.
Dec. 31, 1961 - 3,000 employees on payroll (which was maintained or exceeded until the mid 1980s).
Mar 15, 1962 Major manufacturing and office building expansions completed, adding 120,000 square feet of floor space for a total of 417,000 in space at MVR plus 200,000 leased space - Carroll Avenue Plant.
Feb 5, 1968 Mobile Radio Business Section established as part of Communication Products Dept.
Sept. 1, 1969 - General Electric's communications business attains division status with HQ in Lynchburg.
Nov. 10, 1969 - Additional office space leased and later purchased, named Fort Avenue Building.
Sept. 30, 1971 - Ground broken for a mobile radio manufacturing plant in Florence, S.C.
April 12, 1973 - Power line carrier UHV production/test center at Mountain View Road dedicated.
In 1973 -Florence plant in full operation producing metal and plastic parts.
April 22, 1974 - Leased Bradley Park Building opened, manufacturing Hybrid Thick Film microcircuits.
March 1, 1975 - Personal radio manufacturing begins operation at Timberlake Plant on Waterlick Road.
Aug 1, 1975 Mobile Radio Department announces its reorganization to cover the fast growing International market.
Jan. 1, 1976 - GE's mobile communications business begins acquisition of European manufacturer of mobile radio equipment -- Storno of Denmark, headquartered in Copenhagen.
July 1, 1976 - New customer services center building opens at Mountain View Road - GE out of Carroll Ave. building.
June 1, 1977 - Bradley Park Plant purchased; expansion begun to double its size.
Mid 1983 - GE Medical Systems business begins a small, but destined to grow, operation in the Florence plant.
Nov. 13, 1984 - GE to cut 750 jobs in Lynchburg; implemented on Jan 2, 1985.
Mar 3, 1986 Wall Street Journal advertisement announcing Multi-Million Dollar Public Auction of GE surplus manufacturing equipment including automatic insertion and injection moulding machines in SC.
Nov 21, 1988 GE sells Bradley Park to Lynchburg Sheltered Industries.
August 31, 1989 - LM Ericsson of Sweden and General Electric's Mobile Communications division announce the formation of a new joint-venture company. Manufacturing to be in Lynchburg and R&D at Research Triangle Park, NC.
Late 1989 - Mobile Radio ceases all opertions in the Florence plant, and it becomes 100% Medical Systems.
January 1, 1990 - The new joint venture Ericsson-GE begins operating. Ericsson 60% owner - GE 40% owner.
Early 1992 - Ericsson bought an additional 20% of the joint venture from GE.
April 1, 1998 - Ericsson bought GEs remaining 20% of the business, and GE leaves the LMR business.
January 26, 2000 - Ericsson sold the Land Mobile business to Com-Net forming Com-Net Ericsson, Inc.
May 15, 2001 - Com-Net sold the business to M/A-COM, forming M/A-COM Wireless - a Tyco International company. This business was located on Jefferson Ridge Parkway in Lynchburg.
May 29, 2009 - Harris Corporation purchased Tyco Electronics Wireless Systems, and, as L3Harris, still maintains a small presence in Lynchburg as of 2023.
Present-2023 Catalyst Communication Technologies formed in 1996 (by ex-GE employees?) is in the LMR business in Forest, VA.